Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Ouch.

Today has been pretty busy. I worked late, then when I got home MB had to walk out the door, so I was stuck babysitting the wee one. By the time MB was home, it was nearly 8:00 - too late for a regular run, I thought. In fact, I almost bailed on today's run altogether, but I decided instead to go out for 20 minutes and work on speed a bit.

I kept up with my 90-second rotations, but I pushed myself much harder during the runs, usually getting down to two steps per inhale/exhale by the end of the segment. I felt pretty good, but only because I kept telling myself how awesome I was to keep pushing like this, even when it's tough.

Then I finished my run. I got home and my lower back was completely tensed up. I took every type of pain medication I had and laid down on the floor, but I was still really tight. I turned put the massager on my back and took a hot shower (not at the same time), and that seemed to help somewhat, but I'm still rather sore. My legs seem to have recovered (or the pain killers are working on them), but my back still hurts. I think I can feel one bunch of muscle fibers in particular that are still tight, but I don't massage my own back very well.

What I'm really worried about, though, is the possibility that I've gone and screwed up my back yet again and will have to go in for round 3 of surgery. My one hope right now is that this doesn't feel like sciatica, it's just overly tense muscles.

Suggestions?

No comments: