Wednesday, January 20, 2010

New Run

Today's run was really weird. And kind of annoying.

Aren had to go to Cub Scouts tonight, so MB & I had the great idea that I could drop him off at the church, then I could run while he was doing scouts. Sounds great, right?

Well, I had a couple of hiccups. Of course. First, I forgot my flashlight. This wasn't a problem for the first 15 minutes of the run, but it got pretty dark pretty fast. Second, it was an unfamiliar route, so I felt like I was running a lot longer than I actually was. Third, my route was slightly downhill -- on the outbound trip. During that 1.75 miles, I descended about 141 feet. That meant, of course, my return trip - which occurred after I was already tired - gained 141 feet in altitude. (That would explain why it seemed so much more difficult, I guess.)

The final issue I had was with my new timer. My first set got screwed up because I somehow convinced myself - very near the end of my first set - that the timer had somehow restarted the run I was on. So I stopped, played with it for a bit, and restarted. It worked fine after that, which makes me think that I was just being stupid the first time, but oh well.

So that's that. Including warmup and cooldown - which I never do, but I will tonight because I'm not sure where exactly I started running (and stopped running, for that matter), my total workout was about 50 minutes, during which time I traveled 3.5 miles. At least I broke the 5k mark, even though I didn't mean to...

Update: I should have mentioned this earlier, but my legs are really, really tired today. Probably a combination of the uphill run and the fact that I'm still not quite used to running for a whole three minutes at a time. Ugh.

No comments: